Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It just so happens that...

Since leaving teaching 4 years ago, I have had to fill the "writing" void in my life by contributing to forums, journalling, keeping a few blogs and (up until recently) writing a monthly newsletter for a mum's group that I run.

So the other day, I was contacted by someone who was asking me to look at their biography and rework it. They said someone had told them that I write well.
Okay so my first response was "no I don't and no I can't" because I also knew that this biography was going to be read by a lot of people, but after a short conversation with myself, I decided I'd have a go.

So this morning I sat and rewrote the biography adding in my own touches etc and sent it off with lots of disclaimers saying that I wouldn't be offended if it was no good blah blah blah...
I then received a response saying that they appreciated my efforts and would be considering three options from different people and then it would go to someone else to be proof read.
'That's fine' I thought, at least I tried and it was a good experience.

Later this afternoon I received yet another email from the person saying that they loved my version and it was chosen as the one to use! I felt really encouraged by this.
I think sometimes after not working in paid employment it's easy to start to wonder whether you can even string two words together anymore but when something small like this happens then it's just a special little boost for the old self-esteem! And I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment