Friday, July 31, 2009

3 things


These three grats have all got something to do with my eldest son.

First of all I am thankful that he's alright after having a huge fall on to the slate floor the other night. Despite landing really hard on his head, it doesn't seem to have caused long-term damage. He ended up with a massive egg though (this all happened right on bed time because he was mucking around on his chair at dinner due to being tired and silly) so, of course, we could not put him straight to bed due to the fact that he could've been concussed. It all seems okay now though mind you his head still has a rather large lump!

I am also grateful for the fact that I was able to swap his swimming lesson time. I'd tried a couple of times with no luck and just thought I'd give it one more go. It was hard because I am so not confrontational but I could see all these Friday morning clashes coming up in the diary and didn't know what else to do.... thankfully it paid off and now my diary is looking a lot less complicated to fit everything in. Next week my new timetable begins!

Thirdly I have been working on getting my son to tell the truth all the time when I ask him questions because I was finding that he was just making random stuff up (fine when he's playing imaginary games but not when I'm simply asking him something about kinder that day). It's been hard to find examples where I know he's not being truthful to help him see that it's not appropriate in that situation. Anyway, today I was doing some baking and I'd let the kids have some cookie dough to roll out and make shapes as well as eat it. Shortly after I was putting my youngest down for a nap so I left the dough I was about to roll out on the bench and went upstairs (the kids were back playing in another room by this stage)... on returning I noticed the mixture was a considerably smaller ball than when I'd left and had tiny finger marks all over it! When I confronted my son about it, he immediately admitted that it was him and his sister and genuinely apologised straight away. Besides my brief annoyance at the mixture being half eaten (I was making cookies for some children coming over tomorrow) I was so happy that he'd been honest with me and that I was able to explain to him that his honesty was the right choice etc. So I am grateful for the progress I am seeing in this area. And now just to work on my 2 and a half year old daughter who blatantly lied and said she hadn't eaten any! LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment