Saturday, June 20, 2009

Losing My Mind

Lately I've had this phase of losing things. It's truly driving me crazy.  I'm usually so careful with where I put things. I like order.  I've often said the state of my house is the state of my mind.  Usually when my house is a complete mess...well....you know that the old 'upstairs department' is in a bit of a state too!
 
As I travel so much with work, I tend to have a certain order of doing things. When I stay in a hotel, I generally don't use the wardrobes- I'm not one of these "unpack everything when I arrive" people, if I was I think I'd spend the other half of my time doing this! I only ever use the middle section of my case, so I can lock it.  I never use the outer zipper compartments as I know people who had had things stolen out of there before.  Sounds kinda silly in some ways huh? But for me it's all about boundaries and order.  I keep these 'rules' if you like, things are generally ok.
 
However lately, I have lost two pairs of perscription glasses (in 6 months!); one pair of my expensive favourite sunnies (that were a bit of a 'significant, symbolic purchase 2 years ago for me) and my FAVOURITE cream jacket.  I wear this thing everywhere, its perfect for work and casual and I simply love it.  I was thinking about it the other day with a "where did I put it" kinda moment, and just couldn't figure out what I'd done with it. SO annoying!! I really wanted to take it travelling on holidays too. This morning I woke up thinking about it, and still annoyed with myself for losing ANOTHER item that I love. Not only is it expensive but it's always you're favourite things that you lose. I still have my first dodgy pair of prescription specs! I mean, seriously, what's all that about!! Drives me CRAZY!!
 
So this morning, I'm sitting having my coffee on my back porch (my favourite spot in my house!!) and I said "God, please, where is my jacket? How do I keep losing things?"...and guess what...my mind went immediately to the front zipper section of one of my suitcases (gulp!), and I remembered that I had quickly 'shoved' the jacket in there before I jumped on a flight so I wouldn't have to carry it- I have broken one of my "I never put things in the front of the case" rules. So off I trot and ...ta da...there it is!
 
I'm SO grateful for starters, even though it is just a 'thing' in my life, but it's a favourite thing you know. I could have lived without it, but I would have been disappointed. (let's not talk about all the glasses that still remain AWOL!!)  But you know girls, what it taught me- or rather reminded me- was not about the material stuff but about my boundaries.  I create order and boundaries in my life for a reason.   God creates them for us. When I break them, I suffer the consequences, big or small.  God doesn't want me to hurt, feel sad or be disappointed, thats why He creates guidelines- for our protection. To guard our hearts.  Those who have kids, discipline them not because they enjoy it, but because they want their kids to be the best they can be. God doesn't create boundaries to be a tirant.  Boundaries are healthy and protective, and He loves us enough to let us decide whether we will step over them or not.  
 
The symbolism really hit me on this today.  Thanks God, for that reminder.
P.s ohhh, and THANKS for my jackets' return  to the fold  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment