Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fair Trade


I am grateful for the new coffee we've discovered.  We've always used Coffex in our machine but this one is organic and fairtrade and VERY yummy.
I think it's wonderful how many new fairtrade items I'm seeing on the supermarket shelves now.  I bought some chocolate from Coles the other day...the Cocolo brand. I am grateful that companies are making these products readily available and supporting workers in developing countries.  Yay.
FYI:
Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world. By requiring companies to pay sustainable prices (which must never fall lower than the market price), Fairtrade addresses the injustices of conventional trade, which traditionally discriminates against the poorest, weakest producers. It enables them to improve their position and have more control over their lives.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Andie - I am very grateful for the increase in fair trade and organic food available! UK cadbury even went fairtrade and I am just waiting to see Australia do the same. I think consumers are increasingly calling for ethical practices in trade and wishing to reduce exploitation in developing nations. (Meke)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great if Cadbury did the same. I know there is a big push for them to do so. If they did, there's no telling how much chocolate, I'd be consuming though! LOL.

    ReplyDelete