Friday, January 15, 2010

Fingerprints


Yesterday I farewelled my big sister, bestfriend and fake twin (as we would joke) as she moved to Thailand with her husband and 3 little children. I can't recall the last time I cried this much. The pain of knowing how much I will miss having her around feels a mixture of 'unbearable' and 'plain disbelief'. But and there is a but...how grateful I am to have had the past 29 years to develop a truly beautiful friendship with her. I feel so blessed to have so many happy and crazy memories of our time hanging out together. In my goodbye letter to her I explained it was like she has left her fingerprints all over my life. Everywhere I look, everywhere I go and everything I touch, I see her. Whether it is the clothes she has given me, the roads I would travel frequently to visit her, the many trips to G.J's for a creme brulee chiller and five hundred babychinos, or simply the endless memories of fun things we have done together. Those fingerprints are everywhere and while they are causing me so much sadness at the moment as I imagine my life here in Australia without her, I am also so very extremely grateful that those fingerprints remain there. They are a constant reminder of how much I love her. How much she has helped to shape me and how much better my life is because she is in it. I am grateful for these fingerprints...and when I eventually stop crying, I will look forward to getting over to Thailand to spend time with my beautiful B.S and bestie.

No comments:

Post a Comment