Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grat no 11: "See you at The House Grandpa"


Yesterday I officially said my final goodbye to my Grandpa. It was a beautiful service and I was so proud of my own Dad who had organised the service, written the eulogy and then delivered it with such composure, love and respect for his Dad.

I am grateful for my Grandpa and the life and love that he shared with us. Grandpa has really been the only one of my grandparents whom I can recall sharing such a strong faith and love of God with me. I loved how interested he was when I used to call him up for a random chat and I will always remember these times with a lot of fondness. The last time I saw my Grandpa was last Saturday night. Mum, Dad and I went in to visit him at the hospital. This was a really difficult time - I thought I would not be as emotional as I was, but watching my own Dad say his last goodbye to his Dad really hit me hard. But it was just so precious seeing how excited Grandpa was to be finally going home. "See you at The House son" he said with a cheeky smile to Dad.

My Mum described this visit with Grandpa well, she said He has one foot on earth and one in heaven already" and it was so true. All of his senses were heightened and he could see and hear us without even using his glasses or hearing aids.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to give my Grandpa one last kiss, tell him that I loved him and wish him a 'great trip'. P'haps even more precious was when he told me he loved me and gave me the most beautiful wave as I left the room. No-one else saw that child-like wave that he gave me...I will treasure this beautiful memory forever.

Today I am grateful for my Grandpa. "See you at The House Grandpa"
Love Melinda
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment